The Food Files: Crispy Lentil Cakes

Inspired by my newly moderated love of salmon croquettes... I introduce for your nutritional, and culinary consideration, my latest experimentation in fine electric cuisine.



Ingredients
 
1c. lentils
1/2 c. amaranth
1 burro banana
1/2c. chopped raw walnut (roasted)
1T coconut oil
1T grapeseed oil (to fry)
1/2c kale greens
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1T. sea salt
1T. cayenne pepper
1t. sage
1t. basil
1t.dill
 

Directions  

1. Boil about 2 c. water. Add lentils, amaranth & pinch of sea salt. Cover. Reduce heat. Cook until tender and water has evaporated. Set aside to cool.

Walnuts will be a bread crumb substitute.

2. Grind them to a crumb texture using mortar and pestle or by using quick pulses on the food processor. Season to taste. Spread thin on cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes at 350 degrees, or until they are a nice golden brown.


3. Add chopped kale, onion, peppers and seasonings to lentils and amaranth. Blend.


4. Transfer to food processor with walnuts and   banana. Pulse until you get a nice sticky texture.


5. Heat skillet. Form and fry patties over medium high heat about 4 minutes each side.
 

What I enjoyed most with this recipe is the crispy, cornmeal like texture of the amaranth!
 
It sort of reminded me of hush puppies, which I will definitely try to make from them soon!
 
The lentil mixture needs to be seasoned really well to impart flavor. I have altered the recipe from the photos in attempt to add more flavor by adding the green pepper, onion and more spices.
 
Also, initially I used two ripe burro bananas which made it more sweet than I expected. I reduced this to just (1) in this recipe.
 
I'd love to know if you try it, what you think and how you made it your very own!
 
 
 



 

Comments